The Great Barrier Reef belongs to all of us, and there are many ways you can get involved and show your support for this great Australian icon.
Join our online community of people who care about the Great Barrier Reef and receive latest news and updates.
Work with us
We offer a range of exciting career opportunities at both the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority and Reef HQ Aquarium. Check out our current vacancies.
Community consultation is an important process that allows you to provide formal feedback on matters relating to the Great Barrie Reef Marine Park.
Join a monitoring program
People out on the water can play an important role in keeping an eye on the Reef by reporting sightings.
Become a Reef Guardian
The Reef Guardian Program includes schools, councils, farmers, fishers and Graziers. While these are located through the Great Barrier Reef catchment, no matter where you live you can do Reef Guardian-inspired activities.
Visit Reef HQ Aquarium
Through a range of exhibits, displays and interactive experiences at Reef HQ you can learn more about what makes the Reef a special place.
Donate to our Turtle Hospital
Our Turtle Hospital helps care for sick or injured turtles so they can become healthy and be released back in to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
Help protect the Reef
- Recycle what you can - for example, plastics, paper, batteries and mobile phones
- Use environmentally-friendly cleaners and fertilisers
- Keep gutters, sinks and drains free of chemicals and rubbish as what washes down sinks and drains could end up on the Reef
- Minimise water runoff by planting trees, garden beds and ground cover around your home
- Use re-useable shopping bags rather than plastic bags
- Encourage recycling in the office environment
- Only order the stationery you need
- Think about what documents you print and utilise electronic publishing
- Take your own coffee mug instead of using polystyrene cups
- Turn your computer monitor off when not in use
- Join the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority Reef Guardian Schools program
- Encourage recycling and re-vegetation program
- Reduce plastic use in your school / conduct a waste audit
- Hold a clean-up day at your school, park, creek, beach or oval
- Form an environmental committee in your school to try and make your school sustainable