Permits help the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) and the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) ensure the conservation of the Great Barrier Reef’s state and commonwealth Marine Parks. Permits are generally for commercial activities and most visitors to the Marine Park will not require a permit for recreational activities. Permits are used to: